We live in an old charming cottage, old being the operative word here. The house has been lived in by many people over the years, each with their own personality. The bathroom was one place the personalities were stamped through paint.
The place had so many layers of paint and this I realised when the paint in there started peeling, and being ever curious I continued to peel it off. I stumbled upon at least four layers of paint, cream, blue, yellow and finally green including the undercoat in between each of these colours.
I then decided to peel it all off and put on some new paint. I went to the hardware section of Nakumatt and bought a scraper that would help me chuck the paint and a paint brush. We had some paint left over from some work we had had done some time back, so I chose to use that.
The peeling took two days, well not two full days, about six hours spread out within two days, a weekend actually. Then I realised I cannot chuck it all, not the whole bathroom anyway and I had to get a plan B since I had already removed some of the paint. So I chose to focus on only the really bad places and leave it at that.
Anyway, that was part of the process.
When i was done scrapping off the paint, I left it that way for about four weeks…yeah it looked quite unpleasant. I also learnt that I need to use gloves with this kind of work, my right hand was blistered.
So this weekend, I decided to give it a shot. I had never painted a wall before, but I had spent time watching painters do their thing and I had an idea what was expected to happen. I was all the same jittery that I might mess up, but isn’t that the best way to learn?
So I got the undercoat out, mixed it a little using an old wooden cooking stick. Now, I bought a big paint brush and the undercoat can was little, so I couldn’t dip in there. I got one of the many plastics I keep for food storage and poured in the undercoat. To protect the floor from any spillage, I lay some old newspapers on the floors.
Then I got to painting the undercoat
This took a short period and I left it to dry for the night.
The day after I used the Sylk Vynil Emuslion paint and put two layers. This paint dries fast and is less smelly than the undercoat.
That was the result of the painting, glad to see that all my nail painting skills put to use!!
It’s not perfect and I am glad the pictures do not show the paint brush bristles I left behind on the wall. I’ll need to buy better quality paint burshes and probably take a few painting classes.
Keep it DIY!